VERGE Open Guide
OPEN WOD 17.3
Prior to 8:00, complete:
3 rounds of:
6 chest-to-bar pull-ups
6 squat snatches (95 / 65 lb.)
Then, 3 rounds of:
7 chest-to-bar pull-ups
5 squat snatches (135 / 95 lb.)
Prior to 12:00, complete 3 rounds of:
8 chest-to-bar pull-ups
4 squat snatches (185 / 135 lb.)
Prior to 16:00, complete 3 rounds of:
9 chest-to-bar pull-ups
3 squat snatches (225 / 155 lb.)
Prior to 20:00, complete 3 rounds of:
10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
2 squat snatches (245 / 175 lb.)
Prior to 24:00, complete 3 rounds of:
11 chest-to-bar pull-ups
1 squat snatch (265 / 185 lb.)
(After all reps are completed in a set, time cap extends by 4 minutes.)
Not as important to be completely fasted as week 1+2, but we don’t want to feel heavy. Something small up to an hour before attempt. You are eating to lift. Full meals should be several hours beforehand.
1. **Night before/ morning of: 5-8 minutes of T-Spine**
2. Smash Pecs/ Shoulders/ Traps
3. Crossover symmetry Activation Protocol
4. Smash/ stretch Calf and Ankle
· Snatch focused warm up
o Get overhead and OHS positions opened up
o Hit some heavier snatches (85-90% of 1Rm)
o Practice your snatch pace and find a rhythm on the bar
· Get sweaty and increase body temp.
· Do not worry about hitting a bunch of Pull Ups in the warm up. Just get comfy…
10 x Russian Swing (70/53)
8 x OHS (22x1) *Get into the bottom
8 x Snatch Push Press
6 x Snatch Balance (progressive depth if needed)
3 x Hi Hang Snatch
3 x Hang Snatch
3 x Full Snatch
12-15 minutes to build to 85-90% of Snatch 1Rm
*Don’t run your head into the wall. Focus on comfort and confidence, don’t miss repeatedly just to hit your 90%
3 x Sq Snatch (95/65)
3 x C2B
2 x Sq Snatch (135/95)
3 x C2B
1 x Sq Snatch (185/135)
3 x C2B
· 80-85% intensity. Settle in
· For athletes that will struggle getting through round of 135/95 snatches, take your time on pull ups. C2B/ Pull Up singles are okay. Feel as fresh as possible for snatch attempts.
· For athletes who are strong on the barbell or plan to advance beyond 8:00, break up C2B out of the gate and be mindful of time between sets. We are just delaying fatigue.
· Snatch singles are okay for everyone. Highly encouraged @ 135/95 and beyond (If Panchik, Fraser and Sager did singles, you probably should too)
· Snatch attempts should be FOCUSED. Do not miss reps. Error on the side of caution and make sure you are ready when you pull.
· DO NOT try to change Snatch or Pull Up technique. If you don’t have Butterfly pull ups, don’t try them now. STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW
· Keeping C2B in small sets will help prevent hand tears
· Consider wearing wrist wraps to keep sweat from hands
· If you typically Snatch in WL shoes, wear them. If you don’t, don’t.
· Cool Down (immediately post WOD)
1. 5 min Bike or Row (easy)
2. **Crossover symmetry Recovery Protocol**
3. 10+ minutes of full body stretching
· Liquid Nutrition/ Protein shake within 30 mins.
· Full meal 1-1.5 hours post WOD (keep it simple)
· Foam Roll/ Stretch in PM
· 20 min Row/ Jog/ or Bike on following day
Missed reps are the enemy. Accuracy is imperative. As an athlete you have to know when YOU are ready. Quiet the crowd and stick to your game on both movements. Treat this WOD like a weightlifting session. Every pull should get 100% of your focus.